Bennie and Clovis Martin left their rural home of Raceland Louisiana in the mid 1910’s and headed to New Orleans. They both found work as streetcar conductors until they opened Martin Brothers Coffee Stand and Restaurant in the French Market in 1922. A mixture of troubling times, dedication to community and innovation all led to the birth of the first Poor Boy Sandwich in 1929.
Through the years Frank Otillio’s great grandfather Clovis and his brother Bennie went on to pursue several different Poor Boy projects many of which lasted into the 70’s.
To this day nothing better represents the spirit and personality of New Orleans than the Poor Boy sandwich. With thousands of variations sold daily by hundreds of restaurants across the South this humble sandwich has grown from a necessary staple to an expression of individuality for every restaurant it leaves. We feel it’s time to introduce these diverse cultural influences to a bland and sometimes uninspired industry.
The French Market location – birthplace of the Poor Boy Sandwich.
The second and most famous Poor Boy location established on the corner of Touro and St. Claude in 1932. The brothers served over 1000 loaves a day from this location and upwards of 3000 on carnival day.
Remodeled St. Claude Location.